Hi BigWill, I had the great pleasure of your hospitality, but I am a committed believer in quality on-the-cheap. I paid about $70 for my Mapleshade Clearview speaker cables - came with a problem, they were nice enough to upgrade me to a pair of Mapleshade Clearview Double Golden Helix Plus speaker wires. I love 'em. Someday, you'll come by my place and let me demo some cool stuff for you. There are some amps I like very much - I have a Yamaha M-80, and a Kenwood KA9100. Paid a total of a bit over $100 for the two of them and they are in mint condition. I am also proud of my big Onk - an Onkyo M504. I did go a bit crazy and paid $300 for that one. One of my favorite amplifier scores however is the Onkyo M282 a 120 watt x 2 amp with a very rich sound quality. They list for about $300 each, but you can grab them off ubid.com for under $100 every now and again.

I also love my Axiom and Michaura speakers - they outperform speakers which cost my friends many, many times the price of my Canadian beauties.

I think the idea here is quality at a price. Anyone can throw megabucks at the problem of sound reproduction and come away with a pretty nice system. The challenge is, putting together a system which sounds as good and costs WAY less.

My favorite great system on-the-cheap is my garage system - a mint Kenwood KA9100 solid state amp (cost me $20, the seller and I thought it was broken, turned out it was just the jumpers), a pair of Dahlquist DQM-905s ($50) and a ($10 garage sale item) JVC XL504 6 disc changer (sounds substantially better than a Cambridge D500SE I bought and then sold).

I picked up a 2 channel Kenwood THX amp rated at 200 wpc, thought I would love it - hated it. The KA9100 sounds better, so does the big Onk, I've had other amps whose sound I did not like. I bought them thinking I would. Placebo effect? It's all in the sounds boys and girls, not the price, and they don't all sound the same.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.