In reply to:

However, neither have I relied on the mysterious and mythical 'placebo' effect to trump all audible differences in tests which are not strictly double blind in nature

The problem with the placebo effect is you can't really "rely" on it or "use" it, as it exists without the listener's express knowledge. He hears a difference, and to him that difference may seem very real, but if upon further testing he can't reliably hear that difference, then it becomes apparent that the perceived difference was more than likely a placebo effect. And the effect is not really mysterious (well maybe a little that the mind is so open to the power of suggestion (or fear of wasted money ), nor is it mythical - it's been proven quite often, and not just in the audio field.

Let me pose a question, as I'm curious what you think about it. Have you ever had one of those times where you listen to your system and it just seems that everything sounds better? The imaging seems more realistic, the tonality seems more accurate, you get more involved in the actual music itself. It sounds better, and yet nothing in your system has changed. How exactly do you explain that?

Let me also say that I hope you don't take my argument as personal in nature, as I don't intend it that way. (In fact, I wouldn't mind hearing your system, as I've been intrigued by tubes for a while now, but never really had the chance to hear a system that I might actually be able to afford. )