In reply to:

our ability to mathematically model processes great and small, is evolving and at least in part, tentative. The relationship between theory and observation - experimentation, is dynamic and each colors the way we see the other.I think for the most part, the methodology used by 'scientists' to formulate their audio theories is simplistic.

2x6 - you act as if audio theory has only begun to evolve since you were old enough to have moved away from the Fisher-Price cassette deck. You keep talking about modelling but you're missing the point - these discussions aren't about computer models and extrapolation of data, they're about real-life experience of a lot of audio technicians and engineers. Pioneers like Alan, whose years working in the industry - not as a hobbiest and weekend cable wrangler - in the field day-in, day-out who have created and expanded their industry. Do these techs know their stuff? They sure do - they work with it every day. So put aside the idea of lab coats and think about the IATSE and Teamsters in jeans with Leatherman and Gerber multi-tools on their belts - if I have to put my faith in anything, it's these guys that have come before me.

The longer you work with them, the more you realize that most equipment tolerances are already outside of human hearing, I've never seen a tech reach for a 24k gold plated XLR cable or ask if it's been properly broken in, a lot of times field work is run off genny trucks (diesel generators) which makes my "dirty" home AC lines look like a pure electron stream - so what am I worried about?

Bren R.