"Of course, whether or not they are indeed that good will probably start an argument around here."

Actually, that has not been the case. In general, if people around here argue with you they have a pretty good reason. I don't think many people here have given any Polk products a serious listen and those that have are pretty complimentary. I suspect that if we did a direct M60 to RTi8 comparison, the consensus would be that they are both excellent speakers and more people would prefer the M60. You likely are getting more for your money in terms of quality parts/workmanship, etc. from a company that sells direct than from one that sells through Circuit City. I happen to like the Polk sound and think that $800 for the pair was a better sound and deal than I could find anywhere in the local stores - and my wife agreed so we decided to go with something we had both heard and liked as we had differing opinions on some speakers. If we hadn't both agreed that the Polks were the best we had heard (over Klipsch, Athena, Bose, Def Tech, JBL, Infinity among others) then I was going to go with Axiom and take a chance on something we had never heard.