Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Aren't you ALWAYS going to have to deal with that support pole, unless you spend money you don't want to on structural upgrades?

This is AFTER the structural upgrade. Before, there were three support poles because it was a wood beam that it was supporting. They replaced it with steel beams to reduce it to one, and that's where the beams meet. I guess that's where it had to end up for the amount of distance it could span. One pole was better than three for me.

Putting the refrigerator somewhere else *might* impact your kitchen design, but given your investment in audio/video gear, I'd be more inclined to have a suboptimal kitchen workflow than to totally screw the pooch on the acoustics.

Yeah, that's what I'm feeling right now, but then I think that even if I do move the refrigerator somewhere else, it's still not going to be an ideal acoustical situation. There are too many weirdnesses to the room. But you're right that this seems like MORE of a compromise to the acoustics.

Edit: How wide is the area between the support pole and the opposite wall i.e. the width of the theater if it is inside the footprint of the existing pole position?

It would be about 14 1/2 feet across. I'd be losing not quite 4 feet if I pulled that bedroom wall over to match, if that's where you were headed.

Wait, you WERE looking for opinions, or riffing, right?

Ha ha, of course. I'm glad for ANY feedback, since I'm sure it will only help me come up with more options.