Originally Posted By: a401classic
We've done 3 kitchens with Home Depot. Each time getting a second quote (not Lowe's, but a "real" kitchen remodeling company. Each time, HD was cheaper for the cabinets, granite, and install than the "real" kitchen places were for just the cabinets - and, yes, we were comparing apples to apples; in our case all Kraftmaid, all-plywood-construction with solid wood fronts and soft return drawers and doors.

Our experience with Home Depot has been a bit more mixed. Yes they can have some of the lowest prices on materials. They certify buying bulk amounts each year and as such, get price discounts so smaller companies just cannot compete (try going to FloForm directly to get Corian countertops and the same thing through Home Depot is cheaper...even though they also get it from FloForm). However the clincher comes in their installers. How good are they and how expensive compared to someone not with Home Depot?

We once got a quote for painting. The Home Depot contractors wanted something like $3000 to do a main floor hallway and stairwell. We got a local painter to do it for $500 which included the paint. Older little Portugese fellow who barely spoke English. His wife had to interpret most conversations. He was fast and good.
Never seen a painter avoid using tape before and not get a drop anywhere except on the surface. He finished in 2 days, 2 coats (i know, i watched as i was working from home).
The Home Depot painters?
They estimated 3 days work for 2 people.

Hmm, makes you wonder.

That aside, we had HD cabinets in my mother's home reno and we used our own contractor. That worked out well. HD messed up the Corian counter and we got a discount on it.
Our own kitchen reno starts at the end of this month. Not using Home Depot (choices were limited for what we wanted).

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."