There are things about RF that I really appreciate.

For example, I don't have to concentrate on aiming the remote. I can be reclining in my chair, with the remote resting in my lap at right angles (i.e., not pointing at the equipment) and I can press a button and get results (no small thing if you're surfing, or watching more than one football game at a time and you happen to be REALLY lazy ).

Also, If I'm going to the kitchen to get refreshments (totally out of sight of the equipment) and WWIII breaks out on my TV, as long as I have my trusty remote with me, I can adjust the volume to prevent glass breakage and angry neighbors.

Also (and I'll admit this one exposes my addiction ), I have a TV in my upstairs bedroom. I also have a second RF extender in the bedroom. I have my downstairs living room remote programmed with the capability to turn on the upstairs bedroom TV and cable box, and vice versa (the two RF extenders are set to different frequencies so the commands go only to the appropriate RF extender). If, for any reason, I'm moving between rooms, I can turn on the TV in the other room and set the correct channel BEFORE I get there. I never miss a play, a pitch, or a shot, never lose the plot or miss a news story.

To me, these things make RF worth having. YMMV.

FYI, my remotes are the URC MX850s.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton