Originally Posted By: sonicfox
I just recently got a Harmony One as well. I went from the MX700 to this and I can tell you that the Harmony is SO much easier to program...Also, it doesn't seem as fast...

I had an MX700 for years and also upgraded to a Harmony One. IMO there are significant pros/cons each way.

I don't like how slow and laggy the Harmony One is. I've experimented with all the delay settings, but it's still sluggish. Long term, the buttons aren't as comfortable as the MX700.

OTOH the Harmony One is much easier to program, especially the initial setup. However I think Universal now has better programmer tools than the MX Editor program used on the MX700.

The Harmony One charging cradle is well designed. The motion-sensitive power up is nice. Their device code list is extensive. It's the only remote I've ever used with enough accurate codes to operate a fairly complex HT system with no custom programming.

While the INITIAL Harmony programming is easy, advanced work requires a fair amount of tweaking. The Harmony system invisibly does things "under the covers" to try and offload programming complexity. This is fine to a point, but for detailed work I often wonder "why did it do that?". By contrast Universal's macro-oriented approach only does what you tell it.

The Harmony system encourages (virtually forces) you into their "activity-based" approach. This is fine for some things but not others.

It's like a car with an automatic transmission vs manual transmission. Automatics are getting better all the time, and the Harmony is like an excellent automatic. Unfortunately I prefer manuals.

My wife likes the Harmony One so I'll keep using it. If I could do it over, I'd probably pick an updated Universal Remote for the faster performance and more manual, macro-oriented programming style.