Well I finally got a computer to replace my 7 year old emachines. Previously my bottleneck for most uses was my slow internet connection but now with high speed the problem became processor speed and memory slowing things down.

So I picked up a Gateway SX2803-25e. It’s just a budget machine but I’m surprised what comes on budget machines these days. It’s only dual core, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD. Integrated graphics but I was surprised to find an HDMI out. For audio it has both optical and 5.1 analogue.

Has to have been the easiest computer upgrade/install I’ve ever had. It took me longer to search through 4 boxes of miscellaneous cables and computer parts to find the 4th cable for my KVM switch than to have everything up and running; network, email, Firefox etc. . . . I’ll still use the emachines as a download manager while it lasts but for day to day stuff it’s been benched.

Note that most people here probably wouldn’t want this machine. It’s go no built in wireless (I’m wired only) and it’s small form factor so upgrades are limited.

Now that I am running 4 computers and 4 different operating systems do I get my Geek Merit Badge.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1