Tam - I do understand your concerns what happens with a "tally" of the speaker scores. One item I failed to mention is we require all "scores/notes" to be turned in before we identify the speakers in question.

To further ensure that everyone knows the test was done honestly, after the scores are posted, the listeners then get to go see which speakers were hooked up for the second round, after they turn in the notes, and before I see them, eliminating the possibility that shenanigans took place.

Where it gets really fun is when people who were not at the event go into another forum, and post half quotes while constructing all sorts of conspiracy theories about how the test was done.

Two years ago, we did a blind test between a DIY speaker and a commercially available complete "store bought" speaker.

The panel preferred the "store bought" speakers, including the gent who had built the DIY speakers.

SO ... I offered up that the guys could do additional listening anyway they wanted, which they did. They still preferred the "store bought" speakers.

A thread was opened on another forum in which it was stated that it was clear I "cheated" the test because I was so willing to let the panel run the test again without my involvement.

It takes a special kind of logic to draw that conclusion. Had I stopped the test at that point, that conclusion would have some merit. But to suggest a nefarious motive BECAUSE I offered to get out of the way is pretty far fetched.

The sad part - the participants all had fun until they tried to take part in the thread slamming the event, and they were beaten down, all because they didn't pick the speaker that the OP of that thread thought they should.

The good part - a lot of lurkers dropped PM's expressing appreciation for the efforts, and most people who are lurkers understand these tests are not perfect.