Matt - Thanks for a great question ...

For the initial series of listening, the set up is a very straight forward 2 channel test. A Marantz 7008 receiver is being used as the 2 channel amp. All processing is turned off - basically, what we have is an honest 164 WPC amp into 8 ohms and 215 WPC into 4 ohms, amplifier driving each pair of speakers.

The CD player is a Marantz DV-6001 universal player that sold for about $600 new.

These are "real world" components. I wanted to drive the speakers with the type of equipment one would typically use instead of the practice we often see where Stereophile tests a pair of $1000 speakers with a $40,000 amp set up.

For later tests, I have available the Axiom ADA-1000-5 power amplifier, which will allow for bi-amping the M-100's and Signature SE's with 250 WPC dedicated to both the bass sections and upper sections of each speaker.

In listening tests so far, the M50's have been really impressive for a small tower selling for $998 per pair. The M-100's are a more revealing, and powerful speaker in every sense. There is a family resemblance to the sound of both speakers - they are neutral, have great dynamics ... etc ...

The M-100's are a "big brother" to the M-50's, which is not a surprise.

Adding a subwoofer to the M50's, and taking away having to produce bass below 80 Hz will likely "clean up" the sounds in the mids. To what I "think" is your point: I would like to explore how good a pair of M-50's and an EP-350 is. At under $2000 for a 2.1 system, and in an easy to drive speaker, it could be a real bargain system that gets you to 22 Hz.

The 5 channel system I would like to explore would be the M-50's, the EP-350, a VP-100 and a pair of M-3's.

This is a $2531 system in the outlet store.

Last edited by craigsub; 06/09/15 01:25 PM.