Great insights so far Craig. I like how you are characterizing each speakers performance in relatable terms.

Based on your initial impressions is it fair to say the Axioms live sound is due to their wide dispersion and smooth off axis response? The legacys by contrast seem more directional and would hint a rolloff of higher frequencies off axis.

To bias the m100s toward a studio sound you can reduce early reflections. This will improve imaging and clarity at the expense of ambience and spaciousness. This is what Mojo was doing with severe toe in. I would be curious to see what placing absorbers along the sides of your A/B test setup would do to your test result. My prediction is the Axioms would approach the Legacy sound in terms of clarity and intimacy. The Legacys would take on a more live/spacious sound if strong reflections were placed alongside your test.

Diffusers alongside your A/B test would result in a staggeringly wide soundstage with the Axioms at the expense of pinpoint clarity.

Do you find that over time your preference leans towards a live or studio sound wrt the speaker design?