Mojo - 45 degrees is pretty severe, it's easy to understand why the difference was so audible. Even the response curve will be shaped quite differently at the listening position.

The speakers here are at appx. a 10 degree toe in.

The female voice ranges from about 160 to 1280 Hz, and of course, harmonics above this. The differences between the two speakers is not a major one. It requires some careful listening to notice the difference.

When doing these listening tests, I won't look at measurements until after reporting what was heard. This avoids the tendency to report what the measurements suggest one should hear.

BUT - now that some listening results (and what you see posted is the result of about 20 hours of listening per speaker), some analysis is good.

In looking at the M-100 response curve, from 160 to 500 Hz - right in a female singer's "center" for most recordings - is down about 3 dB from the 100 Hz response.

I don't have a response curve to look at with the Legacy's, but it would not surprise at all if this (160 to 500 Hz) bandwidth was flat, or possibly even a bit above, the M100's.

Trying to convey all the information is quite the task. For example, when I mentioned the Legacy's went a bit deeper in the bass, I didn't mention that the M100's are more powerful in the kick drum region. On "The Wall", for example, the 35 Hz kick drum is more powerful on the M100's.

It is in the synthesized bass on a couple of tracks of "2 against nature" that the deeper bass of the Legacy's becomes apparent.

East Coast - It is no surprise that the A1's and M100's would sound comparable, if not identical. I am not sure there are any differences between them.

My personal preference leans towards the "live sound" when it comes to loudspeakers. That being said, it is also easy to appreciate what a speaker like the Legacy Signature SE brings to the table.

We are supposed to get some serious rain this weekend, and I may be stuck indoors. If so, I will try additional toe in - and probably block a port or two, with the M100's, then do more listening on the same female vocal discs.

This is where the long term aspect comes into play. I do wish there were more Legacy owners in a forum that could chime in.