Let's stay civil ...

We live in a new world. One where beliefs do not need to be proven since everyone knows they are true. If these "known to be true" beliefs are challenged (especially if proof can be provided) then it's acceptable to counter by:
  • Just repeat your belief as loud as you can and as many times as you can.
  • point to disproven sources
  • present a whole lot of unrelated topics in “support” of that belief
  • confuse the issue with BS …

if that does not work then:
  • make accusations
  • start calling them names
  • assign labels and
  • assassination character.

So far I think I have been labeled (in my words): a "Weak Minded individual" who "Blindly follows others" and an "Authoritarian" who is "filled with self importance"

It's actually kind of funny ... it's obvious there is about as much real thought placed in these labels as there is support provided for the beliefs presented. Funny if it wasn't so dangerous.

P.S. Craig:
  • this is the Water Cooler. Discussions like this is what it is here for.
  • 2x started this thread and I’m sure he knew it was going to be political and provocative.
  • we mutually agreed to debate under one condition we laser focused on each narrowly defined topic
  • We are adults ... I'd expect we can accept a little discomfort if an argument does not hold water
  • no one is being driven away ... I like 2x

Also, IMHO, only a child would stamp off, taking his toy's, telling everyone he's "not going to play with them anymore" at the slightest sign of discomfort.

On that front I think we should start a new policy. If we are going to have a discussion on a sensitive topic we should start a new thread in the water cooler and append "(political)" to the title. This would allow people to avoid reading stuff that might upset them ... anyone agree?