Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How large are the toroids in the Outlaws spread across 5 or 7 channels? I know each amp on the mps-1 has its own 350VA Toroid or 2.45KVA total for 7 amps.

I'll have to find the size (I bet Gonk knows), but the 7500 and 7700 have the same 2 toroids. Must be big for the 7500 to weigh 80 lbs.

I still haven't found the sizes but Gonk has photos:

http://www.prillaman.net/outlaw_pics/ (about halfway down)

This from Scott at Outlaw:

Quote:

Transformer power ratings can vary dramatically because of a lack of standards in our industry. The "duty cycle" is what determines the VA rating because temperature rise has to be controlled. If you had a battery charger, the transformer has to handle 100% duty cycle because the power is delivered constantly. Not so in the case of audio power amplifiers. The duty cycle is less than 50% for music and even lower for most home theater applications. All transformers in Outlaw amplifiers can deliver whatever power is demanded by the loudspeaker load without fear of overheating or damage. For a home theater applications, because of the lower duty cycle, the transformers in these amplifiers could theoretically handle 4 thousand VA without overheating. Even though this is true, we use a much more conservative approach.

For the record, both the 7500 and the 7700 meet (actually exceed) their power ratings of 200 Watt per channel-all channels driven at .05% from 20 - 20 kHz (unlike some other manufacturers, we are not rating our amps at 1 kHz or are measuring our power at 1% distortion.)

Each of these amplifiers utilizes two transformers of varying "sizes" depending on how many channels they are asked to drive. Each transformer has a number (either two, three or four) of secondary windings so that each winding is dedicated to its' own channel. By our calculations, the 7500 transformers have a total of approximately 1.8kVa and the 7700 has about 2.05kVa.

Scott