Quote:

I also forgot to mention that Gene said their documentation is misleading about the capacitors. Since they are wired in "Series" they are actualy 1/4th the mentioned rating. 12,000uF is a big difference than 48,000uF.

According to the Emo website...

"Each power amp module contains its own 350VA Toroidal transformer with high speed rectifiers, 4 x 12,000uF 105°C rated capacitors and a fan cooled heat sink."

There is nothing indicating how they are wired. If they are wired is series, would this imply only 3000 uF (or 100 uF / watt), based on the googled formulas?

I've got an MPS-1 and have dealt with Lonnie recently (very recently, today in fact) about a hissing amp issue which was resolved quickly. I've had the DMC-1 cranked to a max indicated volume of -20dB, with a measured spl of 115-120 dB at 12 feet. The speakers were set to large so the MPS-1 was handling the entire load (only 2 channels here). At that level, my clothes were vibrating and the few hairs that I have left on my head were standing on end, vibrating as well. I can't imagine what -0- or a +XX dB setting would do. Of course I've got just a bit over a third the room volume that Randy does. I have not tried to push the envelope with all 7 channels turned up.
I also find it difficult to believe that a review at this level would include a seemingly isolated incedent, unless it's not so isolated. If someone at Emo was venting, the reviewer should have recognized it and left it out.

Scott

Scott

My HT