Hi Randy,
Hi apologize for getting some of your comments confused with another MPS-1 owner. It's just that after reading some of these posts on the different forums (not necessarily yours), my head is going to explode from the lack of technically accurate and meaningful discussion in some quarters.

I appreciate the desire to understand and discuss this issue, but the way to deal with and understand this type of problem is to approach it in a scientifically verifiable, repeatable, and valid manner. One must also compare apples to apples.

Please understand that my comments are not directed you or anyone in a personal or disrespectful manner; I just want to set the record straight, from my perspective. I guess my main points were this...

1. The attenuator indicator of the receiver volume control is meaningless for our purposes. The gain structure of the amplifier is probably different than the internal amp in the receiver. So, +X or -X dB doesn't tell us anything of value.

2. The fact that the receiver doesn't not shut down at x dB compared to another amp is again, not meaningful. What is the THD? What is the real power level? Does distortion or dynamic compression matter to the listener? Is it just about being able to crank the knob up all they way; like flooring a car?

3. The MPS-1 has a VI limiter that WILL shut down the amp when it is drive into HARD clipping. It doesn't make the amp bad or weak, just intelligent. I am a HT nut, I play my movies LOUD; I can't be in the same room with my MPS-1 and the speakers playing loud enough to trigger the protect. I also cannot tolerate clipping! In my opinion, this is a VERY bad thing. It ruins your speakers and is very unpleasant. If a person wants to listen to their system in this manner, maybe were not for them; we shut down when this occurs.

4. Our design approach is not a defect or a weakness, it's a decision on our part, like a governor or a rev. limiter on a motor. We think its just good design.

5. I'm not doing damage control, I'm trying to help all of you understand the thinking behind our products and hopefully keep you as a customer. Maybe I'll help you understand the way we approach the design of our products and enlighten others too.

6. Also, I'm hoping to learn from all of you on the forums, and maybe share some of my knowledge with you in the process.

Like you Randy, I don't want to start a controversy. I am very glad you are so into understanding your system and learning about the in's and out of audio gear. I don't want you to feel like you cannot come to us for any type of support or help. We are here to help you and we will try to do our best to keep you and all of our customers satisfied.

I understand that without you and all of our customers behind us, we don't have a business; we know who we work for, and that's all of you.

Thank you all for your support and interest in this great hobby and in Emotiva; we really do appreciate it. Your input and comments are truly appreciated and respected.

Thank you and best regards,
Dan

I

Dan Laufman