Quote:

Well it looks pretty clear to me in the review that it DOES say they are wired in Series, this is right from the review if you actually read the entire review.

website states 48,000uF of power supply capacitance per channel (4 x 12,000uF) for a grand total of 336,000uF total power supply capacitance, it is a bit misleading since these capacitors are actually wired in series and yield an effective power supply capacitance of 12,000uF or ¼ stated in the literature for each channel for a total of 84,000uF. In order to meet the height profile of the card cage, Emotiva had no choice but to use lower voltage caps in series to achieve a higher capacitance working voltage to meet the maximum rail voltage requirements for achieving the rated power. Though a clever design approach, series connecting capacitors cuts the available storage down by ¼ and also doubles the Effective Series Resistance (ESR) as opposed to parallel connecting. Considering this was perhaps the best way of meeting the design profile, I would say this was a good compromise. However, my only gripe is the overstated literature which I am hopeful the manufacturer will change after reading this review.

Randy, I wasn't trying to pick a fight here. You were the main reason I got my big dogs. Although the emo literature is misleading they do not say what the total cap is nor how its wired, so there are no false claims here. Gene is the one who made the assumption if parallel wired to get the 336k that he did, then assumed that they must be wired in series 'cause 336k is way over cap'd. If you read my entry again you'll see that I was finding fault with the review, as well.

Anyway, I went back and re-read the first several pages of this thread (not all) to see if I could duplicte what you were seeing. The first thing I noticed is that you and another Denon owner with another brand amp needed to go +xx dB to get to 75 dB on the test tones. I've got a DMC-1 feeding the MPS-1 and at 13' I get 79 dB at 00 dB for the mains, center, sub and rt surr, -3.0 dB for both back surr (6' away) and +3.5dB for the lt surr (15.5' away)to hit 79dB. Since I was at a neutral setting for the majority of my speakers, I left it at 79dB rather than reduce them just to hit 75dB.
With that said, could the real problem be the Denon?

Scott

Scott

My HT