Originally Posted By: Marks Johnson

Interesting. Despite what seems to be only a 30 wpc advantage, the Onkyo is sounding "different" at higher volumes?

Colour me confused too, and “different” is an understatement. Above about 90=95dB average (depending on the genre) for music the 2807 started sounding really harsh. Never listened that loud so it wasn’t an issue.

In the apartment I had the 2807 calibrated and played mostly at 75dB but when I moved to the house I upped that to 85dB which is when I started the “do I need more power thread” because it sound to me like it was clipping during loud movie scenes like the explosions in “Master and Commander.”

With those same scenes the Onkyo sounds loud but smooth, not harsh, and the loud parts no longer interfere with the more subtle parts of the same scene (e.g. the explosions don’t wash out the surround effects) with Audyssey on or off.

I agree that 30dB shouldn’t make a striking difference especially over a 10dB range. It must be a combination of factors.

Originally Posted By: Marks Johnson

Damn, I'm going to have to get some outboard amps to test this theory, and the Outlaws have their monoblocks on sale.... !

I’d love to hear your results. I don’t see getting amps right now since this seem to be able to play louder than I would ever want to listen and still sounds great.

I haven’t nor do I plan to do an A/B comparison partly since I have no easy way to do it. And also I can’t discern a noticeable difference at lower volumes.

Note: before anyone goes all AVS on me I’m not claiming that Onkyo is better than Denon, just that there’s a striking difference in SQ between my older Denon 2807 and newer Onkyou 3007. ;\)

Last edited by grunt; 11/06/09 08:22 PM. Reason: Dyslexia

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1