Thank you for the reply Alan.

I actually think I might have a defective VP150 in this case. I am not talking about a subtle timbre change, missing bass output or something requiring a positional change. This is a drastic change in sound quality. I am actually able to make my M80s sound similar to my VP150 by cupping my hands and covering the tweeters....it sounds very much the same. If I put my ears up to the VP150 tweeters during a pink noise test, I could hardly hear them while the M80s and QS8s were very clear sounding. Swapping output channels on the amp did not change this and it was wired correctly.

Shortly after posting the original message to this thread, HT disaster struck. I was experimenting with the volume level of the VP 150 through the menu on the LMC-1. I was standing over my 150 with remote in hand looking down at it. Overall SPL I would say was medium/low - maybe about conversation level in a room. When my volume adjustment hit +10, I heard a pop and saw a flash come out of the LPA. It shut off and I could smell burning electrical. I immediately unplugged my power conditioner from the wall and just sort of stood there staring at my amp in total disbelief.

After this happened I called Axiom and talked to JC. When I described the original problem with the VP150 (pretty much missing highs/anemic tweeter output) he agreed that there must have been something amiss as this wasn't normal for a VP150, that it should sound comparable to the QS8s.

Then being a swing shifter past his bedtime and deeply distraught that my HT basically had just blown up, I went to bed.

And here I am sipping on coffee having just woke up and have the next few days off.

Before going to bed I was sort of ready to ship everything back to Emo and Axiom and just maybe time myself out for a few weeks. 4 months of research led to what looks like a defective VP150, an M80 that was damaged pretty good in shipping, an LPA-1 that just went to electronics heaven...two days of owning the HT and having it blow up on the second day.

Of Note - I am of no means slamming Axiom or Emo. I have read enough forum posts to realize I am what seems to be a VERY rare case. Axiom had shipped a new M80 to replace the damaged one in less than 24 hours. I have no doubt that both Emo and Axiom will give me second to none customer service to resolve all these issues if I choose to do so. It is just that I am a little down and out about this whole situation right now.

...the M80s and QS8s sounded phenomenal before the LPA blew up.

Last edited by bhull; 04/12/07 01:07 AM.