Quote:

I know Fed Ex and UPS drivers are not to return to the depot at the end of the day with anything on their trucks, so they just drop the stuff off and away they go. The courier companies end up taking a loss on the shipping if the parcels go out for redelivery on a truck.

So then whats the point of a "Signature required" delivery if they are going to leave it at the delivery location regardless of if you are there or not?

Quote:

So far as the damage goes, usually the heavy items should be placed at the bottom of a 9' high block load of packages in the trailers, so it is conceivable that the boxes simply burst open from the weight, then get torn open further from rough handling. I agree this isn't acceptable, but the view of the shipping companies is that any damage is the fault of poor packaging. The insurance clause on the waybills is only if the item is lost, not damaged.

I don't think this is the case here. My stuff didn't burst open from being on the bottom. If you go back and look at the photos I posted, it it quite obvious the M80 was dropped on its corner from quite a distance up. And for being torn open from rough handling, I don't see how a company can take that into account and pack for it. How do you pack something up expecting it to be torn open in shipping? I feel it is the responsibility of the shipping company to at least handle these deliveries with a minimum of care as to prevent serious breaches in the container.