Quote:

I wonder if there are some sort of shipping alternatives available, like specifyig pickup at the shipper so the packages can be inspected and signed for, and if you do accept it, maybe a way to annotate the damage if any.

You can have the sender ship the items "hold for pick up" and the packages should be at the depot waiting for you, at least where I work.

I know Fed Ex and UPS drivers are not to return to the depot at the end of the day with anything on their trucks, so they just drop the stuff off and away they go. The courier companies end up taking a loss on the shipping if the parcels go out for redelivery on a truck.

So far as the damage goes, usually the heavy items should be placed at the bottom of a 9' high block load of packages in the trailers, so it is conceivable that the boxes simply burst open from the weight, then get torn open further from rough handling. I agree this isn't acceptable, but the view of the shipping companies is that any damage is the fault of poor packaging. The insurance clause on the waybills is only if the item is lost, not damaged.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70