Quote:

My VP100 (and, to a lesser extent, the QS8s) sounds different from my M60s when running receiver test tones but sounds much closer when running real world signals OR a test CD.

As far as I know, the difference results from the fact that the receiver test tones are injected downstream from the bass management, ie the different rolloff frequencies will make a big difference in sound when running test tones BECAUSE the subwoofer is not intercepting and reproducing the lower notes on the center and surrounds.

I'm not 100% sure this is the case but it sure sounds that way. Does anyone know for sure ?

EDIT -- Just to be clear, you may still have a defective VP150. Things like that do happen from time to time. I did find a difference, however, between using receiver-generated pink noise and using pink noise delivered via DVD.

Gunshots, voices and other effects were drastically different when they would pan from center to any other speaker. It would loose all its higher dynamic range.

I guess the best way to explain it would be during the matrix lobby scene where the guns were panning to all the speakers. The M80s and QS8s would all sound almost real, the VP150 sounded like I was running it wrapped up in foam in a large cardboard box.

Of course I am dead in the water right now with my amp being fried. I wonder if maybe the amp cooked the speaker's crossover or maybe the speaker has a shorted crossover and cooked the amp. Either way we will never know since both seem to be in less than working order.