Mojo,

You really ought to know better than to use phrases like "the M22ti midrange blows" especially when you haven't heard the new M5, let alone hearing it in a double-blind test. I suspect, given Ian's record, it will be a fine speaker, but in a double-blind test, it may well be a matter of nuance that distinguishes it from an M22. Certainly I'd expect more substantial deep bass than the M22, with the M5's larger enclosure.

But it will be difficult to better the M22s neutral midrange and upper bass.

To answer several forum members who posted questions here, the distinguishing feature of the M22 has always been its superbly neutral midrange. When I worked for Axiom for many years, I championed the M22 from the very beginning, over the M80ti and M60ti, neither of which I cared for at the time (around 2002). The M22s midrange was much smoother and more neutral than the M80ti or M60ti.

With some refinements, the later versions of the M80 came to be excellent, as did the M60. I've watched Ian develop speakers and work very hard to get a speaker that bests the M80 by even a small margin. And even then, it's a matter of nuance --sometimes cleaner sound at high volumes (hence the HD drivers).

The kind of hyperbole that exlabdriver correctly took issue with is often found on other sites, which I avoid, for that issue and the kind of anecdotal, casual opinions rigidly adhered to, no matter the scientific evidence to the contrary. It has no place here on the Axiom forums, which have always been a model of reasoned, thoughtful talk about sound and music reproduction and the science and measurement technique behind it.

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)