Hi JohnK,

No, the listening test I performed was with the VP180 in its proper horizontal orientation against a pair of M80 towers flanking the VP180 fed with a summed mono signal. From the central listening position, I was comparing two mono signals, one from the VP180 versus a phantom centered mono signal from the pair of M80 towers.

I ranked the VP180 with the same score as I gave the two upright M80 towers and also remarked ("tough test: not exactly alike but similarly excellent"). Other comments included: "Very deep extended bass, smooth natural vocals without sibilance, excellent kick drum and acoustic bass, and a spacious, open quality on big orchestral/choral works."

I have previously never ranked a center channel speaker with such a high score as I gave the VP180.

Partway into the test, I realized I was listening to mono, but that didn't tell me much, because I'd been doing days of listening, including some competitors' speakers.

I was thrilled after the test when we looked at the scores and pulled back the curtain to reveal the VP180 and the two M80 towers at each side.

Regards,
Alan