Originally Posted By: Murph
A short wheelbase on a 4x4 is not a problem in the winter when you use the 4wd AND "BIG AND" you drive at speeds that the weather warrants.
And 33" chunk tires on ice in ruts made by passenger width tires are useless... thus the reason we packed it into a snowbank backwards on my front street with no wheelspin at about, oh... 10kmh.

Quote:
The transfer case on my old YJ wouldn't change in/out of 4wd unless I slowed to an almost standstill so when pavement conditions constantly changed, you tended to leave it o ff to protect your drive train.
Already replaced the weak vacuum system with a cable linkage for positive transfer case selection.

Quote:
You should get a ride in a 97 or up, ie TJ. That's when they switched to a spring coil suspension and now it rides as smooth as a small 1/4 ton truck at least. Still no Seniormobile Buick but night and Day compared to the old!
I think I've been in just about every OR-type vehicle made to date from the Tracker up to a Willys... and I'll have to say it's like night and dusk compared to the YJ - still a butt-pounder.

Not trying to slag the brand, more one of those "oh, those crazy machines" posts...

Bren R.