If not, then that is a different issue altogether.

Anyway, I ask that anyone who believes in the power of prayer to be praying for me. Later today (it is just past midnight here on Thursday) at around 8:30 AM central time on Thursday I am supposed to get a call from my boss (he works 6 hours away in Chicago) about whether or not my company is going to have a job for me after the first of the year.

My role with the company is to provide technical support management for our contracted accounts in the state of Iowa (as well as a few locations in Kansas and Missouri). Well, our primary customer did not renew their contract and as it stands, there does not seem to be enough work with the other customers to keep me on board.

My boss has been pushing to get a new job role created and then to offer it to me, however, it isn't up to him, and he has to get the sign off from a couple levels up from him. That person was somewhat open to it a couple of weeks ago, but our company just laid off about 50 employees (not much compared to other companies) and there is a huge push to cut costs. The new job role was pushed as a cost savings, sales adding role, but it still comes down to the one man's decision. When I talked with my boss today (Wednesday), I didn't even know that there wasn't going to be enough work elsewhere until I talked to him at 4:30 earlier, he wasn't as optimistic as he had been in the past. What could be really unfortunate is that I was told by my boss to tell my tech's to find new jobs back in the beginning of October, but when I asked about me, I was told not to worry, so I haven't been looking for a job. Now, if things don't go well, I could be out of a job basically on January 1st.

I know, some people here have gone through this, and in the end, it all works out. I've been there myself on several occasions, once for my own stupidity what seems like a million years ago, and the others because of things like this where the job was just going away. Right when we feel like we are just getting back on our feet from this happening 3 years ago, and it could happen again. In fact, this could be the 5th time that my job either just went away, or there was a company merger, or whatever in 12 years! It rips our family up dealing with all of the bills, lack of medical, etc.

So please, if you are of the praying type, I ask for your prayers that I get some good news tomorrow and that there is work for me to do still with my company because I really like what I do at this job more than any other that I have done over the years.

Thanks!

Last edited by nickbuol; 12/18/08 06:17 AM.

Farewell - June 4, 2020