While Murph's comment a few days ago seemed premature at the time, he just seems to be ahead of the curve than the rest of us.

I found out yesterday that the only realistic possibility for me to not lose my job due to the lack of business in Des Moines is the possible promotion into a job in Atlanta. While this job in Atlanta hasn't been fully approved yet, I also found out yesterday that the hiring manager and his boss (2 and 3 management levels above where I am) agreed that it would be good to have me fly to Atlanta for a formal interview with the hiring manager and the other person in the same role that I would be applying for.

So that is encouraging, especially since this hasn't been advertised or posted internally or externally and I know that the hiring manager wants to avoid posting the position if at all possible.

So I fly down Monday afternoon, have dinner with the hiring manager that night, have the formal interview on Tuesday from 10:30 am - noon with him, and 11:00 am - noon this position's counterpart for the region would join us. Then lunch with them. After that I don't know if anything else will happen or not, but I've got a standing invitation for dinner with some people that we know that moved north of Atlanta about 14 months ago from here. Then I have Wednesday morning to look around the area a little more and then fly back around 4:00 pm.

I am glad that I am going to be there for 2 nights to help me check out the area, and while this looks very hopeful, it still hasn't been approved to even hire anyone into this position, and I don't have the job yet.

So this is similar to Sean's (StPatGuy's) situation where he is having to move from Rancho Cucamonga, California to Phoenix, Arizona. His move is about 5 hours straight east, and mine would be 15 hours southeast, but anything past an hour or two really impacts your ability to get back to visit family and friends regularly.

Farewell - June 4, 2020