I feel for you, Nick, I really do. Tough stuff. Especially this time of year. I work for a small private company (IT: DBA/Developer) that's optimistic about our jobs, but you can never be too sure. Our IT department is as slim as possible right now and seemingly no possibility of hiring anyone new for the foreseeable future. Though if I hear a whiff of anything I'll let you know. IT jobs are few and far between here, and I'd guess it's not much different over there in Iowa.

I have several friends who are IT contractors for the State of Illinois, and they've pretty much all been told that when their contracts expire in 3-6 months they will not be rehired. My wife works for the state too, and brings home constant news of the doom and gloom of state budgets (let alone all the chatter about our beloved governor. ) It's a really bad time for state budgets.

My wife got laid off about 2 years ago. At the time it was a pretty traumatic experience for us. But after a couple of months she found a new job that was significantly better. So yeah, things do have a way of working out. Still, no fun to go through it.

Thoughts, prayers, hopes, and general good karma too you. From one IT guy to another.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office