Originally Posted By: oakvillematt
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
Gripe: Why do builders do dumb things when building houses? House is 16 years old and ...

I want to know why the electrical code still allows for a hot wire (black) to be connected to a light socket, and have the switch close the circuit (black & white)? Rather than have the hot wire must go the the switch, and have the light socket close the circuit? That way when the light switch is off, there is no power going to the light socket and you can't electrocute yourself.

My whole basement was done wrong.. well it doesn't even meet code as they used black and white wires rather than back and red it indicate they both can be hot. Lucky for me I turned off the power and checked the junction box before assuming it was done correctly.

Doesn't any contractor take pride in their work and do it right the first time.

Gawd, Matt, whadda I gotta do, publish my CV to keep you off my toeses? Ya couldn't have gone after the cable guy or the mailman? Noooooo! You had to go and take down ALL trades guys at once, didn't you?

What's next? Let's say bad things about seniors? Or how about totally innocent gay people, minding their own business, who would never, ever say anything unseemly about anyone. Hey, how about Americans at large? Or just a specific one, like, umm, JP? When will this stop?!

Being really good at whatever one does is not necessarily about
getting it right the first time, but not leaving it until it is.

The bulk of people doing ANYYTHING, do it either poorly or with full-tilt mediocrity, and that is throughout history.

The people who are really good at anything will always be fewer than the amount of people needed to keep up with demand.

Those few people always charge more than "the rest" and are solidly booked. That leaves most people (homeowners, GC's, property owners/mgrs. (the worst), designers, et al) with having to choose from "those left behind."

Lots of times, all of the above mentioned HAD the choice and opted for the cheapest bid, no matter.

In short, "pride" costs time and money that most people just won't spend. I am old and still, I do not remember a time when such things weren't so.

Who gives whatever it takes to make it right, free-time be damned? Idiots, that's who! I am guilty on both counts.

Does that make me noble? Not at all. It makes and keeps me poor.

That DOES feel better! I didn't even have a gripe until I read the recent posts on this thread. Thanks, Matt!

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.