I upgraded my sump pump cover today. The plastic sump pit will cave in before that lid breaks. Now I can place the vinyl planks right over it without building a cabinet. I wouldn't go jumping on it, but it's in the rear corner, behind the couch. I will mostly likely place a bookshelf over it anyway.

Originally Posted By newf
Once you go Atmos, you don't go back. Building anything new now without considering Atmos....is a mistake imho. Buy direct firing speakers for your surrounds, take nicks advice. It's a different train of thought with Atmmos. You have to drop what you knew about 5.1 and 7.1. You don't put surrounds up high, you don't buy bipole or quadpole anymore, you don't need great big towers up front. The laser metaphor is a great way to think about it all. Atmos works in a 3d space, each speaker is your laser, it needs to be accurate to get the full effect. In a perfect room every speaker would be identical, but who can do that? More and more movies are moving to Atmos. There's no way I'd go back.....and I have the same Rack..love it.

How does 5.1/7.1 sound up-mixed to Dolby Surround and DTS Neural: X sound? Does it use the height channels effectively? I stream most of my content from either online providers or my own server. So outside the occasional blu-ray I buy, most of my content will not be atmos enabled.

I am really having a hard time deciding. Because I am missing that left wall I only have two options, 5.1.4 or 7.1. They require totally different speakers and I hate to pick one and not enjoy it as much as the other....ugh.

Last edited by mikecoscia; 02/16/17 10:45 PM.