I’m running 5.1 in the family room with QS10s. I had a 7.1.2 ATMOS setup in the past family rooms but this time, since we were putting a HT downstairs, 5.1 won on aesthetics. Even though it’s a minimal setup most visitors think this is the HT ... it looks and sounds great.

Downstairs the HT is a work in progress ... a ATMOS, DTS-X, Aura-3d setup (7.4.6 + 2 to start, but wiring for 12bed positions and 19 height/top positions as an attempt of future proofing.). These 3d formats add an extra dimension (just had to say that) to your listening enjoyment and this is a fantastic time to start as the content seems to be catching up with all the hype.

That said IMO it’s better to allocate your money over less channels if you have to compromise too much on speakers and equipment to get more (channels that is). But, I’d at least wire for it.

Canes, I guess what I’m trying to say is I’m a bit confused on why your not going the 3d object placement sound route. You seem to be going for everything else. My only assumption is that per channel things get really expensive if you start down the 1000 speaker path of bottomless formats (and planning wise one has to guess at what the future holds). Also as I pointed out in the first paragraph the legacy formats get you 95% what you need at the moment. I’m just thinking that at some point 3d sound steering will play an important part in film/content.

Last edited by rrlev; 02/13/21 06:09 PM.