Right, Jasper, and I don't think that Axiom uses off-the-shelf amps. I don't know where they are manufactured, but suspect they are not simply a rebranded version of something else.

Well, we're really looking at the issue from a consumer perspective without ANY meaningful knowledge of the actual sourcing and manufacturing costs. So, I guess I'm confident/comfortable that Axiom's "pricing structure" makes sense for them. If they thought it would be more profitable to price the subs lower and sell more of them, I'm sure that's what they would do.

Again, in my somewhat limited experience, I think the Axiom subs sound very natural. Perhaps somewhat "dry" compared to other models; a bit like the bass extension from a transmission-line loudspeaker.

I don't think it's fair or accurate to say that the "cost/performance ratio for subs is a 180 from that for the other speakers". Individuals might perceive different levels of value from different products, but that phrasing implies that the speakers are a great value and the subs are a terrible value. I just don't think that's fair.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem