Wow, that was a scare!!!

Ok so I had the M80's all hooked up. Then I connected the EP800 and listened.... no sound. Ok so then I started messing with the volume control knob, got it to turn (up)... sound! LOT'S of sound!!! I had bass heavy licks in the CD player on purpose. But very shortly after listening I started hearing a clicking sound in the back, almost exactly like the sound I heard over at Steve's house. He said he thought a wire or something was hitting the driver. I wasn't sure what the problem was with mine, but I wasn't happy. So I started messing with all the settings I could think of. I even turned the sub down almost all the way, but it was still there with heavy bass tracks. WTF???

This continued and got worse, the audibility was very annoying. I thought forsure I'd got a bum subwoofer. I was SOOO disappointed!!! I was just about to look at how to take the speakers themselves out to see if something had come loose inside the box. I pushed up on the front of the box (music still playing), and the sound completely disappeared... I let the box down, the sound came back. Up down, up down, no problem, problem, no problem, problem... hmmmm, took a real close look at the front of the box. You know the cut-out I made for the subwoofer? Well it was just barely, and I mean just BARELY touching the top of the wood. So when the bass got real heavy, the wood started vibrating. It sounded AWEFUL!!! I was so depressed all day because I thought forsure I had to send this thing back. But I put an extra spacer on the front of each foot, and problem is completely solved... no noise!!!

That's the good news, the bad news is that because of this little mishap, I have spent all day trying to figure out what was wrong with my subwoofer, when I was supposed to be enjoying the speakers. UUUUGGGG!!!!

Well I can tell you this, the M80's are absolutely superb in every way. Bright? Not in my room. I still don't know what was up with poor Bob's room, but there's no way I would ever catagorize these speakers as bright. If anything they're bassy. I'm still astounded by the bass they put out. I was playing them before I hooked up the EP800 and my fiance said, "I can feel the sub, it sounds good", I said, "honey I haven't hooked the sub up yet". Blank stare. I think she thought I was kidding.

Sorry for not a whole lot of feedback on the EP800 yet. I really don't have anything to compare it to other than my old Cerwin Vega 210 watt downfiring sub. Which I can tell you was nowhere in the same league as this monster. While cringing with distress the whole time I was playing the music and listening to that horrid sound (which my brain had linked to a bum speaker), I was able to appreciate that as much bass as the M80's put out, the EP800 adds a substantial amount more. Could I live without the EP800 music wise (haven't tried movies out yet)? Perhaps. The M80's truely impressed me. Of course I heard Steve's, but I never heard Steve's without his dual EP800's playing. So I was pretty much attributing all the bass to his subs. While playing just the M80's I had no clue that much of the bass was just he M80's doing their thing.

And since I'm still used to the look of my old Cerwin Vega's.... big, massive speakers the whole family could eat dinner on... the M80's thin profile really look to me like they have no business what-so-ever putting out that kind of sound, let alone any bass at all. I would have been thrilled with just the M80's alone. But now I have 4 other speakers to discover and enjoy (just hooked the VP150 up, now for the QS8's). If I love any of them half as much as I love the M80's then I'll be happier than a pig in shit!

So this is how the other half has been living!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD