I want to thank Axiom for the resources and for the freedom we have all enjoyed here.

While I agree with Ken to a certain degree (that ignoring trolls can be an effective strategy), it is not a behaviour that comes naturally to me. I pledge to try harder to know which battles are worth fighting.

One of my mentors long ago (a college History professor) instilled in me the truism that "silence implies consent". The premise harkens back to historic unwillingness of people to actively defend themselves and others outside their self-identified group against oppression and tyranny, but it applies also to smaller moments in our daily lives.

Now, I'm not suggesting that we become argumentative about audio content and the like. I'm talking about objectionable behaviour. When you stop calling people out or racism or rudeness or other manners in which they do not treat others with dignity and respect, then you give tacit approval to those actions.

As much as I'd like to think that a code of conduct would solve the problem, there are always going to be people who have not yet embraced the joy that comes from using their lives to make the world a better place. I believe it remains my personal responsibility to demonstrate inclusive values, and to hold others accountable for actions that are hurtful or divisive.

I've made friends here. I appreciate the opportunity to deepen those friendships and develop new and rich relationships.

Point being, I'm not sure that a code of conduct will actually change behaviour, although it certainly may give Axiom additional justification for punitive action. It seems like we have enough veteran technical people here that similar instruments from other public web environments could be gathered as a starting place.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem