Well, I wanted to postpone writing until I could fill my stomach and my head with Important Thoughts. While I was gone, everybody else pretty much said what I wanted to say! And they said it better than I could have.

I'll add just one thought that hasn't really been discussed:

Far be it for me to speak for Ian and Amie, but let me offer a point that they may be hesitant to bring up. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, so….

This is NOT a public forum. Many people confuse the fact that this forum resides on the internet with thinking that free speech is a "given" here. This forum is fully underwritten by a private, for-profit company. This important point brings up two considerations. One, which HAS been mentioned, is how incredibly generous the folks at Axiom are both in providing this forum at all and, even more remarkable, allow us to write of and even recommend other brands of speakers besides their own. I have been a member of many, many different forums over the last ten years and can tell you that's unusual!

Point two, which really has NOT been discussed yet, is how a "bad apple" can, in a very real way effect the bottom line of a company like Axiom. Put things in a different context: If you owned a coffee shop that offered seating on the sidewalk, what would you do if every day a customer sat out front, talking loudly, swearing, and making other customers uncomfortable… maybe so much that they don't want to come in and order a coffee? What if you owned a storefront, and everyday some kid came along and spray-painted graffiti on the front of your business?

This is how I liken recent occurrences here.

I personally think that this is a great forum; I feel like I'm part of a little family here and have even given up other forums to feed my Axiom BBS habit! There's familiar faces, sometimes predictable responses (a GOOD thing!) from those with opposing viewpoints and a little teasing. It's comfortable. That's my personal feeling.

The business side of me says that this forum is a great sales tool for Axiom. How many of us can attribute part of our "Axiom decision" to these forums and the people that fill them? Many, I'm sure.

So, back to that customer at the café or the kid with the spray can. I know what I would do if someone were threatening my reputation, my livelihood and my friends.

But what can be done on an internet forum? Is an IP address a realistic, workable method of blocking access? What about a more stringent method of registering? Not to impede people initially, but to have control over their access to the forum if things get out of hand?

Unfortunately, this is not an area where I have any expertise. Anyone have a technology solution?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::