Nicely put, Mark. Your words made me remember a post I started a long time ago. I wrote in Word, because I wanted time to think about what I was saying, before I shot my mouth (eeerrrr, fingers off). Before I could post it things settled down, and I never did post it. I'm going to do so now.

I thought about editing it, because there are references to things that are in the past. But, I decided to leave it as it is, so you can see that it was done quite awhile ago. So, I present it for your thoughts, and with apologies to 2x6.

Well this is a fine kettle of fish. Guys, we’ve lost sight of the goal around here, and it’s time to step back for a little self examination. Imagine how this thread looks and sounds to an anonymous surfer who has come here to learn about Axiom speakers. Were I that person, I’d be outa here in a second. Like it or not, we represent Axiom, and we should never lose sight of that.

2x6, you’ve endured a lot of “shots” you shouldn’t have had to endure. Unfortunately, that’s made you, not altogether unreasonably, quick to reach for your gun, resulting in your handing out your share of unnecessary “shots.” Let’s just for the sake of argument, assume Alan is correct that tube amps “color’ the sound. So what? If you like that coloration, you like it. You don’t need to justify that preference to anybody. Like and dislike are completely separate from right and wrong. So Alan can be “right” that tube amps “color” the sound, and you can be “right” to like that coloration. I’ve never heard a tube amp (actually, at my age I probably have, but I just don’t remember it), and would like to very much.

It is generally accepted that Citizen Kane is the best movie ever made. I’ve never liked it. The two positions are NOT mutually exclusive. It CAN be the best movie ever made, and I can STILL dislike it.

So, lets all allow 2x6 to like the sound of tube amps without trying to make him feel a fool for doing so. His liking them doesn’t make our liking SS amps wrong. I’m glad he’s here to inform us, and others, about them. His presence adds to the credibility of this forum. And 2x6, put a strap on that holster. It just might slow you down and keep you from shooting an innocent bystander, like Peter (OK. Not so innocent, but a bystander none the less).

A word about language. Let’s take the word f***. Now, I’m familiar with that word. In fact, it would take most of you younger guys 10 years of saying it every second to match the number of times I’ve said it. If you’d come around for a Browns or Indians game, you’d hear me still using it at just about that rate, usually with the word “mother” explosively placed in front of it.

You younger people have grown up in an environment where you feel you have the right to speak as you please. But, what about others’ rights to NOT hear what you’re saying? Others do have rights too, you know. We used to call it consideration for others. That concept seems to have gone down the tubes today, along with a lot of other good values. The problem is, when that language crops up here, it is usually to punctuate a personal insult such as “get your head out of you’re a$$. First, try to skip the personal insult. Secondly, at least have the good taste to disguise the word as above. We’ll all get the point.

Finally, the human race never ceases to amaze me. We have 98% of things in common, and yet we chose to scourge each other over the 2% we don’t. No wonder I’m a misanthrope. Let’s try to allow others to think and feel differently than we do. They’re being right doesn’t mean we’re wrong.

Don’t misunderstand. I’m not suggesting that we all whip out our guitars and start singing "Kumbaya," or "It’s a small world after all." I love the freedom that the folks at Axiom allow us here. But freedom isn’t license. So I humbly suggest that when the steam starts coming out of your ears, and your fingers are menacingly poised over the keyboard, you take just a moment to remember where you are, and what the goal is here. Then remember that strangers are watching and listening. And finally, remember that you represent Axiom.

I apologize if it sounds like I’m standing on high, loftily (sorry Alan) handing down condescending words of wisdom. I’m more guilty of some of these transgressions than many here, less so than others. So, if you’ll try, I’ll try.

OK. Take your best shots.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton