Thank you, Mark. I agree with everything you said, but I want to comment on this.

In reply to:

The faster these things leave the front page the better, and the way that happens is for everyone to stop posting in the thread.

Though I absolutely agree with that, the posted untruth remains available to anyone who does a search for the topic being discussed, even for years. That's what is bothering me. It's not like the thread self destructs in 10 days. It's there for all eternity. If someone can just say something that will make me say "Ah! Good! Then I don't have to worry about that." I'd be REALLY grateful.

Though, if I understand you correctly, you feel it's OK, as do I, to post an opposing point of view to the offending untruth in a non-threatening way. My only concern with that, assuming we are dealing with a genuine troll, is that he will simply not let up. He will view, as Genetic did, any contradiction of his viewpoint as a challenge, and bingo, we're off to the races again. Yet if we don't contradict him, he will feel free to stick around and continue the bad behavior.

I'm having trouble, in my mind, finding a satisfactory solution. If we respond in any way, we lose; if we don't respond, we lose. DOH!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton