>>Although we do not want to leave our 'open-board' policy, it's clear that there are occasions where posts need to be deleted or, in extreme repetitive cases, users need to be banned. Following the suggestions put forth of using the “Notify Moderator” icon we should be able to let the board members decide through multiple complaints when action is necessary; we are still hesitant to make all these calls ourselves. This leaves the boards open unless multiple complaints from board participants are received. BrenR's suggestion to disable HTML is also a good one and has been followed.

I really think this is the best compromise. Many thanks to all at Axiom for letting the board stay "free". Adding moderators seems like an easy fix but it just brings a whole crop of new problems.

If we stay with the "open board" approach we all need to help out by "not feeding the bears". We need to soften that "silence implies consent" sentiment and assume there is a collective common sense here that we can rely on.

If someone is out of line, gently remind them. If they *stay* out of line, ignore them and move on to another thread even if you feel the need to set them straight. If the offending party moves from thread to thread doing the same thing then and only then do we want to start escalating.

One thing I don't fully understand is that some of the most petty and childish posters also (at different times) offer up very valid, insightful observations which we all benefit from. I have seen this on other boards as well.

Anyways, glad we're discussing this. I think we were all getting a bit PO'ed recently.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8