As most know ... I'm in the middle of working on my home theater ... just thought you'd like an update. But first some background:

The media room was getting in the way of moving into our new house (the room was not being built correctly). So, we put it on hold and moved in just before the Massachusetts locked down for Covid. This turned out to be a good thing because there was a lot more wrong with the build than I first knew about. It also gave me time to experiment and re-think.

Now that I had a real room I could setup the speakers, get a feel for different arrangements and refine my speaker layout. Originally I was not sure if I was going to setup on the long or short wall and wired the ceiling surrounds to do both. I knew setting up on the short wall would be the best for surround sound but setting up on the long wall would give me a more living room feel. Ultimately I would chose the short wall but it took many months of experimentation before I was convinced. Interestingly, if I was setting up for two channel alone I'd probably have setup on the long wall.

After that I took down the walls and discovered that some of the studs were warped enough to touch the channel in places. This was the 2nd time taking down the walls. The first time I had the builder do it because the panels didn't move in places (and a few other reasons). You'd think that they check if the walls moved when they put the panels back up ... anyway there were enough other problems (clip layout) which forced me to take down all the clips and resilient. Since everything was off the studs I wanted to correct an oversight and put-up a layer of mass loaded vinyl. So, this brings you up to the current state.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hopefully I'll be putting up the resilient again in a couple of weeks

Last edited by rrlev; 06/25/21 03:28 AM.