This is all very impressive.
The idea is to (aside from getting good sound within the room) to keep any sound from emanating out? Almost sound proof?

I had looked into various sound control design methods and came across a manual of sorts put out by the NRC or some similarly educated group of engineers. It had great info on STC ratings for various materials, insulation, etc. It had notes about offset studding and dual walls, etc. Space was a limitation to some extent so inches upon inches of extra walls and materials wasn't realistic nor worth the cost, but the STC ratings were a huge help.

I decided that simply building a room that could reduce sound outflow by even 20dB would be sufficient to control anything but heavy bass to a very acceptable level within the rest of the house so i used the STC ratings in the manual to add up various materials to attain a STC somewhere between 45 and 60 (again this is so long ago i don't remember the exact number). Double dry walled ceiling (with a denser board type, cannot quite recall but "concrete" board or something like that?) with 12" of stuffed Roxul and same for the room walls except only 6" depth on the Roxul was reasonably inexpensive and has been very effective. Closing the doors to the room (which have an inside latch for a tight seal and to remove any door rattle) cuts the sound outside the doors by 30dB. On the main floor immediately above, you can only hear bass and it isn't defined enough to really make anything out.
The remainder of the basement rooms were all finished with interior Roxul insulation as well for two reasons. Further reduction of sound on that floor, up the hall from the media room and second, to help with basement room heat/cooling insulation.
I have to say, for the slight extra cost, we didn't have to go crazy and it controls sound outflow very well.

Last edited by chesseroo; 07/10/21 03:29 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."