Ha ha. Yes. The dreaded upgraditis! I've got the dreaded research and experimentitis!

Agree bridgman, i have doubts over the real " upgrade in the as801 over what i already have as far as power supply, but lots more connectivity. ADA 555? Nice. That thing looks like a beast! Do you have thread going on your ADA amps somewhere? If not i'd love to hear what your initial impressions are if you get around to your project.

I'm gonna get a cd/blueray/dvd ( suggestions?)... player and a reasonable outboard DAC for streaming off computer and focus on dialing in my positioning and my space for " room treatments"etc. And some quality (reasonable $$) cables and interconnect.

I think they are is some truth to how an amp "sounds" but i think you need to have revealing neutral speakers to hear those differences and those differences are subtle i believe.

I remember hooking up my old 2 way bass reflex no name speakers to a 125 watt rms JVC ( this is 25 years ago or more ) and they really came alive from what i remember. I had them hooked up to low grade low power reciever, can't recall what it was but the difference was incredible. I mean it was still probably not great but the difference was tangible. I bet those difference between electronics is true they are just very subtle and maybe only detectable to really well trained ear with music they know really well. I think the larger "gains" ( no pun intended ) is from as MOJO put it, in he source or quality of the recording you are playing.

Good thoughts all. Fun stuff!

M60ti Hafler9505 & JFET Pre,Axiom Transformer. M3 Marantz PM7200 Dual 606 Denon 2700 M2 Yammy RX595