The truth probably lies somewhere between our two opinions.

There is no question however that things are getting worse for a growing number of the population. Local governments are becomeing increasingly unable to give the support needed by the lower population segments in financial distress.

Perhaps we aren't losing many companies, yet, but we have lost a number of important industries that were able to employ many of the people now in jeopardy. You can't legislate intelligence or even common sense. These people need employment commensurate with their abilities, and far too many of those jobs have been exported to where the wages are more profitable to the companies and the economic climate is more forgiving of clean air and employee safety. It helps the bottom line to be sure, but does very little to help the unemployed and under-employed folks who could't escape the storm due to high gasoline prices in part caused by an increase in fuel demands by exactly those people who are now working in the jobs that many of those storm victims used to occupy.

A healthy Service Economy is great as long as we can all continue washing each others clothes. Sooner or later though, those washing machines are going to start to fail and somebody is going to be required to manufacture new washers and dryers. Will we still have the manufacturing infrastructure and capabilities to do the job?

As far as a profit to those companies helping in New Orleans, and doing business in general; Yes! by all means!! A reasonable profit is good and healthy and I wouldn't have it any other way! I did very well, thank you, as an Engineer in a number of very well run corporations over the years, but over the years I've also seen a number of disturbing changes taking place in North America that dosen't especially bode well for the future of an increasing number of our population.

A number of these changes don't seem to be helping those business which are currently profitable. With a reduced work force buying products, sales will certainly suffer, with increased fuel prices taking a more inflated portion of a families expendiatures, sales will fall more rapidly in tune with the increased costs of manufacture. No surprises there.

When Japan was recovering from the second world war, Japan had, for a while, a very poor reputation as a country which produced shoddy products. They, through good management, hard work and employee involvement managed to bring their reputation up to the point where it was a few years ago; of being able to produce the best(at a price point)product available. Their reputation is beginning to suffer a bit now as they're also being forced onto the export jobs bandwagon to keep up with the rest of the world. The people who are being placed in these new manufacturing positions don't have the drive necessary to produce products of a reasonable standard. Most consumer products, automobiles and like items excluded, produced under these circumstances are without question built down to a profit.

I have no problem with creating new markets and getting the entire world into the modern age, my problem is doing it in such a way that too many people have to suffer the move back to third world status right here in North America.

Am I thinking of just myself? Darn right I am!!

I don't want to see my pensions evaporate, I don't want to see my Social Security fade away, I don't want to see my hard won 401k savings eroded by financial and governmental irresponsibilites. A strong American economy with lots of high wage, high tax paying employees contributing their fair share, is entirely in my benifit.