Well, the question of which level of gov't is most responsible for the apparent lack of disaster preparedness is an issue that will be resolved with time. Maybe we'll learn something.
In my area the disingenuous are simply basking in the opportunity to blame Bush and make irrelevant linkages to the war in Iraq. Whatever.

What really saddens me is the complete lack of civility in what appears to be a huge number of New Orleans residents. The disorder extends far beyond "mere" looting to include rape, murder, etc...

This is precisely why I have been appalled for a long time by ongoing efforts from certain segments of American society (and int'l folks, too) to break down the American people's love, respect and reverence for their own history and political tradition. Belief in the goodness of our social structure, the principles our gov't is founded upon and the willingness to obey the law should not be contingent on whether law enforcement can hold you accountable or whether the gov't is providing you with enough freebies. IOW, the legitimacy of any gov't (and the laws enacted by it) should not depend on the threat of violence or massive welfare benefits.

Americans need to instill in their children - and I'm privileged to teach US History & American Gov't to a handful of young citizens each year - the sense that America is good and decent. That we are part of something bigger than ourselves; something that has brought much good to its citizens and others. Do that and you won't need Nat'l Guard troops to come in every time there is a power outage.

If we continue to allow the disingenuous and their stooges to cultivate an atmosphere of victimization and helplessness, then the stage will surely be set for what the class warfare folks want - very distinct classes of haves and have-nots (probably broken along racial lines), a breakdown of the social order and subsequent radical change.

We need to teach kids that opportunity abounds, but it is the individual who is responsible for his own success and welfare. And his own actions; even when the man isn't around to punish him.