That's a wonderful thing for him to do, Oz. Gratuitous or not, you have every reason to be proud.

I've been thinking about all the "where's the help," "what's taking so long," "Why have we refused outside help" comments. While I am in complete agreement that enduring even one day of what those people have endured is "too long," and share in the frustration with the apparent inactivity, I find it hard to pass judgment without knowing (1.) what it takes to mobilize a rescue mission of the size and complexity this situation requires, and (2.) what IS going on behind the scenes of which we are unaware. Do any of us here have a complete handle on those two issues?

From the survivors perspective, even one day is too long. However, if we knew what it took to mount this rescue, perhaps we might find doing it in 3 days (according to news reports, aid started arriving in quantity yesterday) was a doggone miracle. Perhaps not. When we take care of the critical issues, i.e. the people, there will be plenty of people to blame, including those who remained for frivolous reasons. I don't know about you, but telling me that ALL those people were physically unable to get out of the city stretches my credulity.

Other random thoughts available for comment.

1. It seems unwise to me to build a city below sea level on a hurricane prone coastline.

2. It seems unwise to me to build a house along a hurricane prone coastline, and unfair to then expect taxpayers to reimburse you so you can rebuild it in the same place when it gets taken out by a hurricane. I know that private insurance will be handling a lot of this, but I assume there will be a HUGE amount of money coming from the taxpayers for various services. I believe congress has already allocated billions of taxpayer money for this already.

3. Did anyone really doubt that the American people, along with aide from lots of other people around the world, would rise to the occasion with money, and supplies, and their time. Mark Schifter over at av123 ran a raffle that raised $10,000 in less than 48 hours, and is running a second one. Mike Dzurko over at ACI audio ran a raffle that sold out as quickly. Outlaw audio has one going at this very moment. I'd be surprised if EVERYONE here, within the scope of their abilities, hasn't contributed something, even if it's a little of their time. WE WILL get this done people.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton