In reply to:

4. If we, as a populace, decide we want "heads to roll", and for people to be publicly humiliated, WE are asking for more trouble. Because, instead of seeking to be better prepared in the future, WE will be forcing people to go in CYA mode.

Finally, if we are to be intellecually honest, There is not anyone who would have been better prepared than those people at the state, local, and federal levels than what we have today. We have never seen anything like this. ever

I think these last two points are particularly cogent. Re. point #4: Though I feel this is absolutely correct, I fear our chances of avoiding the "blame game" are virtually nil. It is a practice which seems ingrained in our very nature. And, even if it was made perfectly clear that neither punishment nor humiliation would be involved, of those who made really serious blunders, how many do you think will step up and say "I really goofed, and here's how." CYA is as deeply ingrained as playing the "blame game."

Re. the last statement: Though we will never know for a certainty, I strongly suspect that no one could have handled this any better than anyone else. As Craig said, we have never experienced anything like this.

There are, however, questions that must be answered. Keep in mind that the following is based on my memory, and, lord knows, my remembering ain't what it used to be. But, I believe I heard that the levee system around New Orleans was built to withstand a category 3 hurricane. If that is correct, I'd sure like to know, since hurricanes can reach category 5, why the levees were built to only withstand a only a category 3 hurricane. I'm willing to admit there could be issues and facts of which I am unaware that would render that decision the proper one. My problem, is that I just can't think of any. If they exist, I'd sure like to hear them.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton