Peter, I realize I will be in the minority on this for quite some time, partially because of how this entire event has been reported, and partially because people look at this and say : "I am going to blame the other party". I still think the response from the federal government (this means The Coast Guard, National Guard units outside the affected states, Homeland Security, and the military) has been extraordinary.

For example, your link stated "Bush takes responsibility for slow response".

Yet, here are the quotes from the President:

In reply to:

"Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government," Bush said at a joint White House news conference with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani.

"And to the extent that the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility. I want to know what went right and what went wrong," said Bush.

I'm not going to defend the process going in, but I am going to defend the people who are on the front line of saving lives," he added. "I also want people in America to understand how hard people are working to save lives down there in not only New Orleans, but surrounding parishes and along the Gulf Coast."

Next, I may have missed this, but can you point me to where President Bush has blamed anyone else for this disaster ?