Bob, it's entirely possible that you are looking for a different type of sound than Axiom(P'digm, MA, B&W ect). You might be looking for a more 'laid back' or 'warmer' sound. I talked to a Paradigm dealer a while back, and he told me that alot of the music I like might be 'lacking' due to the older recordings(the digital age should have happened sooner!). Until I am set up with my speakers, I can't say what they'll sound like, only that they're said to be similar to the P'digms in sound, so that's what I based my decision on when purchasing.
Some of the material I was using to audition other speakers on, seemed to prove the "bad recording" theory. I played several cds on my auditioning and ended up leaving one cd at home simply because all the speakers I was playing it through convinced me it was poorly recorded. It's sad that there are so many good bands from the past with poorly recorded material and vice versa with many of todays bands. \:\(
I have to say that the guys here on the forums have been very open to discussion about other brands/recommendations to me with no hint, at least to me, of fanboyism. I've read alot of posts on other forums(didn't join) and there is alot of false info and riff raff on many of those forums. I've always felt the info I get from this forum, is generally from a more informed(mature?) group of people than what I see on some of those forums.
It's no secret that some feathers got ruffled here, a few weeks ago, unfortunately on the 'net, when info or opinions are put down in text, they can sometimes be misinterpretted by the reader...one thing leads to another, before you know it, everyone goes on the defence/offence. I hope this hasn't created a bias in what you are hearing when listening to your speakers. I've always felt the guys here are very informative and helpfull when I ask questions, some reg non Axiom products as well.
In the end, if you're not satisfied, and have tried various placements of your speakers ect. then Axiom allows you that 30 day trial so really it'll work out either way. \:\)

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.