Micah,
Though I had been planning on M60's mostly due to the M80's 4 ohms, with my modest 90 wch Denon 1909, I too was curious about the M80's tremendous popularity here but also concern if they would be more treble-ee than I would prefer. I had not heard M60's spoken of that way. But then, MUCH less period is mentioned about M60's vs. the M80's here. I have read many happy M60 owners here. So for me it was somewhat easier to hold back on my more/bigger is better (for me).

All that being said, I hope to be auditioning some M60's Thursday (thanks to Adam :o). I was at Best Buy picking up some source demo material and took the opportunity to listen to some speakers that are pretty universally considered brighter than most speakers. I heard the Klipsch Icon W-35 towers (3- 5 1/4" bass + 1" twtr. Now I know that this level of 'bright' or accentuated trebble was not for me. The source was Dave Matthews &Tim R. Live at Radio City (BD not CD), which I was told was a good demo piece. It sounded annoyingly trebbble-ee and harsh to me. The Magnolia room was (short and wide) did not seem to help the sound.

Anyway, now I have some kind of frame of reference to know if, for me, the M60's are tame enough on the mids/highs for my taste. I still do hope to audition a pair of M80's. But as soon as I get my color samples from Axiom (next Tuesday :o( ), I will place my order (M60's, VP150, 4-QS8's). If I happen to hear and fall in love with the M80's AND be able to get over my concern of 90 watts/ch maybe not being enough for the M80's (AS I HAVE BEEN TOLD TO DO ON MANY OCCASIONS, EVEN BY Alan Lofft ;o), I'll call in to change my Factory Outlet order.

Bottom line, if you want to find out what 'bright' sounds like, go hear some Klipsch's. I've heard no one imply M80's are an in the 'brightness league' with Klipsch's horn type tweeter.

Disclaimer... Klipsch makes an awesome product. My wife just finally persuaded me to get rid of the Cornwalls I've had for 26 years! (bought when rock and roll could never be too loud! ;o)

Last edited by davekro; 02/25/09 12:42 AM.

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."