Should have bought the M60s Bob ;\) .

So what have you tried, if anything, to get better sound out of the M80s? Have you tried any/all of the suggestions so far? With your odd shape layout, it is entirely possible the M80s (or possibly any other speaker) are incapable of reproducing the sound you desire.

I know we told you the Denon would be able to drive the M80s with out a problem but if you are driving the M80s hard you could be hearing some distortion from the amp making the treble even worse.

I know you say you have heard your reference cd on many systems through the years and it doesn't sound bad like it does on the Axioms. How many of those systems were as detailed(you have even said the Axioms are detailed) as the M80s. Could it be the M80s are in fact revealing the poor quality of this recording and you are only now just getting to hear it as it was recorded without coloration from other sources.

I agree TV isn't the best way to listen to speakers, the SQ varies so widely it is hard to account for the variances.

Judging by your comments it sounds like you might prefer a warmer more subdued speaker that emphasizes the midrange or rolls off the upper end more than the M80s, which brings me back to the M60s comment from the beginning as they are not as forward/bright as the M80s, more like the Studio 60s you heard, IMO.

If you can't get the M80s to sound right to you, I would at least try down sizing to the M60s before giving up on Axiom.

If you do end up with another brand I would be interested in knowing which ones you end up with.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70